The project involves the rehabilitation of existing asphalt pavement that is:
- Adjacent to the t-hangar rows,
- Within the limits of the adjacent aircraft tie-down area,
- Adjacent to the corporate hangars; and,
- Along the main taxilane route accessing these hangar and tie-down locations.
Anticipated work items to include: mobilization, erosion control, installation of drainage system, milling, paving operations, pavement marking, seeding and sodding, and final clean-up/demobilizing.
Mario A. Evans, C.M, Airport Director of DeKalb Peachtree Airport (and Immediate Past President of Georgia Airports Association) tells The Post, “the rehabilitation of the ramp areas will not interfere with operations, but will interfere with individual tenants from a standpoint of not being able to access their t-hangar or hangar for a period of time.”
The design phase of the project was done by Michael Baker International. No award will be made until the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has concurred in the Owner’s recommendation to make such award and has approved the Owner’s proposed contract to the extent that such concurrence and approval are required by 49 CFR Part 18, according to an ITB document.
The project is funded under the provision of Airport and Airway Safety and Capacity Act of 1987, meeting certain mandatory Federal requirements for improvements and other purposes. There is a Performance Bond and a Payment Bond requirement for the contract.
Mandatory pre-bid conference and site visit:
The mandatory pre-bid conference and site visit will be held June 15, 2016 at 10:00 AM at the:
DeKalb Peachtree Airport
2000 Airport Road, Suite 227
Atlanta, GA 30341
Deadline for questions submitted in writing is no later than 2:00 PM on June 24, 2016. Bid submission deadline is July 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM to be received by DeKalb County, the Department of Purchasing and Contracting. “We are hoping to have the project under contract by the end of June or first of July,” Mario said.
Other renovation/rehabilitation to take place at the PDK include the installation of an “Engineered Material Arresting System (EMAS) at the end of runway 21L later this year as well.” Meeting the FAA standards, EMAS is designed to stop an aircraft from overrunning the runway. http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsid=13754
DeKalb-Peachtree Airport, a big, noisy neighbor that has drawn ire from nearby residents for two decades, may be about to build its way into people’s hearts.
The airport’s director wants to close a crosswinds runway near Clairmont Road and build hangars to house 63 more planes. The $5.6 million project could mean that many more planes in and out of PDK, the state’s second-busiest airport.
But the plan also would take up the only available space for a central terminal that commercial planes would need if they ever set up shop there. With the hangars up, the passenger planes many residents fear could create “Hartsfield North” wouldn’t have enough room to operate.
“I think it’s a good thing, all around,” said the director, Mike Van Wie.
Welcome to the South's premiere airport located in Atlanta Georgia
DeKalb-Peachtree Airport (IATA: PDK, ICAO: KPDK) is a municipal general aviation airport located in Chamblee, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta. It is operated by the local government of DeKalb County, Georgia, and is also known commonly as Peachtree-DeKalb Airport, or simply PDK. Other names (rarely used) include Peachtree Airport, DeKalb Airport, or DeKalb County Airport. It is more commonly called "Peachtree DeKalb". ASOS weather reports are produced 24 hours per day as "Chamblee". On the radio, however, it is referred to as "Peachtree Tower" or "Peachtree Ground".
The airport originally began during early World War II as Naval Air Station Atlanta, now located in Marietta on the south side of Dobbins Air Reserve Base. The property was part of Camp Gordon, a World War I era training camp. Leased from the county by the U.S. Navy, it was converted from military to civilian use from 1957 to 1959. The former barracks located there during the war became classrooms in late 1948 for Southern Technical Institute, a new engineering technology school created by Georgia Tech for former soldiers. Like NAS Atlanta, that school moved around 1958 to land donated by Dobbins, and is now known as Southern Polytechnic State University.